Rosen College Expands Study Abroad Program Doubling Capacity
With the addition of five new partner universities overseas within the past six months, UCF Rosen College of Hospitality Management can now provide Study Abroad experiences for an additional 30 students each year. These new partnerships boost the number of international education opportunities open to students studying Hospitality, Event Management, Entertainment Management, and Restaurant and Foodservice Management. This spring 39 students are studying abroad for one semester.
“This has been the best semester of my life,” said Hannah Gardner, a Rosen College student who is now wrapping up her semester abroad at Griffith University-Gold Coast, Brisbane Australia, a current Study Abroad university partner.
With five new universities entering the Study Abroad program, up to 70 students will head overseas in spring 2018, to learn beyond the classroom.
“A Study Abroad program or any similar international program brings tremendous amount of benefits to students. They will have the opportunity of experiencing new cultures, meeting new people, and making new friends,” said Associate Dean of Academic Affairs & Research, Dr. Youcheng Wang. “More importantly, such programs will help students develop mutual understanding, tolerance, and appreciation of other nations’ cultures and history, so that they can become sophisticated international citizens which will make them more successful in the hospitality and tourism businesses globally.”
Champel’La Blue a student who participated in the Study Abroad program bolsters Dr. Wang’s sentiments. “I spent five months studying abroad in Innsbruck. It was one of the most defining times of my life. I learned and grew so much. I am 10 times more confident in myself and abilities after the Rosen Study Abroad program.”
Adding the five new partner universities also means Rosen College will be accommodating 30 additional students from those universities who want to study at the resort-style campus in the heart of the hospitality industry. The program currently accommodates about 40 students when it’s at capacity.
The new programs are with the following Universities:
- FUDAN University – Shanghai, China: Located in the Yangtze River Delta in East China, Shanghai sits on the south edge of the mouth of the Yangtze in the middle portion of the Chinese coast. Fudan ranks among the top 10 universities in China and is classified as a comprehensive multi-disciplinary research university, with Departments of Philosophy, Economics, Law, Education, Literature, History, Science, Engineering, Medicine, and Management.
- Sun Yat- sen University (SYSU) – Guangzhou/Zhuhai, China: Guangzhou, or Canton as it was known in the West, is the capital of Guangdong province in China’s south. Situated on the Pearl River, it is an economic boomtown. Approximately 83,000 students attend SYSU, among them are 3,200 students from more than 100 countries. SYSU has more than 50 alumni organizations around the world.
- Salzburg University- Salzburg, Austria: Austria is a federal republic, a country of over 8.5 million people in Central Europe. Austria’s terrain is highly mountainous, lying within the Alps. In the four disciplines of Engineering, Business and Social Sciences, Design, Media & Arts and Health Studies, Salzburg University of Applied Sciences offers students a sound university education with international quality standards, supported by the principles of science, professional skills, diversity and sustainability.
- Yamaguchi University- Yamaguchi, Japan: Yamaguchi Prefecture abounds in historical and cultural heritage and is known as the country’s ‘Western Capital,’ playing a major role in the culture, industry and history of Japan. As a comprehensive university with over 10,000 students a year from around Japan and southeast Asia and the world, Yamaguchi University is comprised of nine Faculties, 10 Graduate Schools, and is associated with Yamaguchi University Hospital.
- Sejong University- Seoul, South Korea: Seoul is the capital and largest city in South Korea. Rising in global importance it is one of the world’s largest economies. It has also been ranked Asia’s most livable city. Sejong University is a private university located in the city of Seoul, Korea in a park-like environment. The university offers many degree programs, but is especially known for Hospitality, Tourism Management, Dancing, Animation and Rhythm Gymnastics
The study abroad program allows for student to have complete immersion into a foreign education system, where courses may be taught in the classroom or in the field. Students will also experience different cultures and have the ability to make connections that could take their career path to another part of the world. The deadline to apply for the Spring 2018 study aboard program is June 15.
— (June 7, 2017)