Dick Pope Sr. Institute
for Tourism Studies
About the Institute
In 1979, the University of Central Florida established the Dick Pope Sr. Institute for Tourism Studies (DPI), after receiving $25,000 from the Florida Public Relations Association (FPRA), Orange Blossom Chapter. The name honors the late Dick Pope Sr., the former owner of Cypress Gardens, one of Florida’s first modern-day attractions, and the first commercial tourist entrepreneur in Florida.
The Institute was established for the purpose of (1) conducting proprietary and public domain research, (2) promulgating information to the public at large about the contributions of the hospitality and tourism industry, especially along economic, sociological, environmental, and quality-of-life dimensions, and (3) carrying out credit and non-credit educational activities.
Since 2005, DPI has secured over $1.4 million in contracts and grants for research purposes. The reach of the research conducted at Rosen College can be found on this 2022 infographic. The DPI’s extensive client list includes:
- categorical sampling
- destination management organizations
- convention and visitor bureaus
- vacation homes
- theme parks
DPI has also played a significant role in facilitating over $4 million in non-credit educational programs with international partners. UCF’s Rosen College doctoral students are extraordinarily essential to the Institute’s ability to meet its objectives and its commitments. In addition, contracts and grants funded through DPI have been an invaluable source of external funds to support graduate assistantships for the doctoral students.
For information about establishing a research study with the Dick Pope Sr. Institute for Tourism Studies, please contact Dr. Manuel Rivera, Assistant Dean of Research at Manuel.Rivera@ucf.edu or call 407-903-8210.
Drs. Robertico Croes, Kelly Semrad and Manuel Rivera recently completed a research study for Dick Pope Sr. Institute Sr. for Tourism Studies. The results of the study tell the tale of two COVID-19 hospitality industry stories as well as provide a telling picture for how the pandemic will continue to impact the industry’s workforce. You may access the full report by clicking the button below
Applied Innovative Research
The Dick Pope Sr. Institute for Tourism Studies is the intelligent choice for private and public domain hospitality research, both domestically and abroad. We have conducted research for organizations in countries such as Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, South Africa and South Korea.
Improving the Quality of Tourism
We are dedicated to increasing the benefits of tourism through research, public awareness and education. We invite you to visit the Dick Pope Sr. Institute for Tourism Studies digital collection to access our portfolio of research, publications, and white paper series. You may access the digital collection via this link: https://stars.library.ucf.edu/dickpopeinstitute/
In 1983, the Institute’s advisory board successfully lobbied the Florida University System’s Board of Regents and created the Hospitality Management undergraduate degree program at UCF. Its successor, is UCF Rosen College of Hospitality Management, is among the top five hospitality and tourism colleges in the world with five undergraduate degrees, a master’s degree and a Ph.D. program in hospitality management.
To honor Dr. Abraham Pizam, founding dean of the Rosen College of Hospitality Management on the 50th anniversary of his achieving his Ph.D., the Dean’s Distinguished Lecture Series will take a look at the evolution of the hospitality and tourism industry through the eyes of some of the pioneers in this field of education.
- October 28, 2020, Dean’s Distinguished Lecture Series: Jafar Jafari, Ph.D., Rome was not built in a day: 50 years of tourism scholarship
- November 13, 2020, Dean’s Distinguished Lecture Series: Arie Reichel, Ph.D., Sensation-seekers, risk-takers and dark heritage tourists
- December 10, 2020, Dean’s Distinguished Lecture Series: Brian King, Ph.D. (No video available/slides accessible HERE) Does tourism scholarship have a post-pandemic future?
- January 21, 2021, Dean’s Distinguished Lecture Series: Anna Mattila, Ph.D. , Today’s and tomorrow’s publication scene in hospitality and tourism research
- February 17, 2021, Dean’s Distinguished Lecture Series: Pauline Sheldon, Ph.D., New paradigms for a new tourism
- March 25, 2021, Dean’s Distinguished Lecture Series: Chris Ryan, Ph.D. , Tourism and hospitality research – From innovation to commodification
- April 21, 2021, Dean’s Distinguished Lecture Series: Josef A. Mazanec Ph.D., 40 Years of Tourism Research: Some methodological issues to think about
- April 29, 2021, Dean’s Distinguished Lecture Series: Abraham Pizam, Ph.D., The Academic Field of Hospitality Management: 50 Years Ago and Now
Click the button below to access video links to our research colloquiums.
UCF Rosen College of Hospitality Management’s Dick Pope Sr. Institute for Tourism Studies has conducted recent studies explicitly tailored to understand the economic impact and coronavirus COVID-19 related challenges faced by our industry partners. The webinar series provides strategic business information to prepare and support business leaders for the post Covid-19 world. Learn more about the research and access the webinar on the Rosen College YouTube Channel by clicking the button.
- Webinar #1, Wednesday, May 20, 2020 at 3 p.m., Topic: The resilience and vulnerability of Small Lodgings in Florida: The Impact of COVID-19
- Webinar #2, Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 11 a.m., Topic: The impact of COVID-19 on the vacation home industry in Florida
- Webinar #3, Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 10 a.m., Topic: Travel intentions during COVID-19
- Webinar #4, Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 10 a.m., Topic: Industry-Academia Partnerships and Implications for the Hospitality Industry During COVID-19
- Webinar #5, Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 10 a.m., Topic: A Recipe for the Future: Innovation and Adaptation amid the Post COVID-19 Recovery
News from the Institute
Contact Our Experts
Benefit from access to more than 40 researchers in the hospitality and tourism industry. Our Institute operates under the guidance of Dr. Manuel Rivera, Assistant Dean, Dr. Abraham Pizam, founding dean of Rosen College and Professor; and Dr. Tadayuki Hara, Associate Professor and Senior Research Fellow, along with graduate research assistants.
For information about establishing a research study with the Dick Pope S. Institute for Tourism Studies, please contact Dr. Manuel Rivera at Manuel.Rivera@ucf.edu or call 407-903-8210.