Central Florida hosts numerous sports-related events, conferences, and activities that drive economic development in the City of Orlando and the four neighboring counties. The Undergraduate Certificate in Managing Sporting Events is a specialized certificate of study for those interested in careers related to the planning, organizing, and the execution of sporting events.
Students across UCF can take advantage of this certificate in order to gain a competitive edge to excel in careers in the sports event industry.
- Orlando is home to five (5) professional sports teams, three (3) national/regional sports related headquarters, and multiple university and college sports teams. The certificate will provide an opportunity for students from varied disciplines to become familiar with the sport event experience industry.
- Students will learn from a diverse faculty with varied sporting event backgrounds. In addition, local and regional sport event experts will serve as guest lecturers and site hosts for academic enhancement.
- Orlando hosts multiple sporting events of varying scales, including for the fourth year in a row the NFL Pro Bowl, Florida. In addition, Orlando is also host to the High School Golf Finals. Future sporting events including the 2021 NCAA Division I Men’s & Women’s Tennis Championships, 2022 NCAA Division III Men’s Golf and Men’s & Women’s Tennis Championship, and the 2022 Special Olympics USA Games.
Students will have opportunities in every aspect related to sport events, experience, and tourism.
The Undergraduate Certificate in Managing Sporting Events will equip students with skills to take advantage of numerous sports management related internship opportunities. For example, from fall, 2018-summer, 2019, Rosen College’s Internship Department reported there were 81 students in sport-specific paid positions with an additional 122 students in recreation-specific paid positions. Examples of completed internships related to the Managing Sporting Events Certificate include the following:
- Orlando Magic – Fan Experience Engagement
- Orlando City Soccer Club – Partnership Marketing & Events Department
- Lake Nona Golf and Country Club – Golf Operations
- Greater Orlando Sports Commissions – Events Department
- USTA – Guest Relations
- Interlachen Country Club – Banquets Department
- Solar Bears Hockey – Corporate Partnership Sales
- UCF Athletics – Experiential Innovation
Earning the Certificate
The Undergraduate Certificate in Managing Sporting Events like all certificate programs has course requirements that must be fulfilled in order to complete the program and earn a certificate. See below:
Certificate Admission Requirements
- No course grade lower than a C will be accepted for the certificate requirements.
- The average GPA for the five courses must be 3.00 and higher.
- At least 12 credit hours used towards the certificate must be earned at UCF.
Required Courses (15 hours)
- HFT 3391: Experiences in Sporting Events
- HFT 3357: Sport and Club Event Operations
- HFT 3364: Dynamic Marketing of Sporting Events
- HFT 3748: Events in Sport Tourism
- HFT 4749: Research in Sport Tourism
Foreign Language Requirements
Total Semester Hours Required
- No credit by exam (TSD, Military credit) may be used.
- Internship of Independent Study credit may not be used toward the program.
You can add the Undergraduate Certificate in Managing Sporting Events to your degree:
- Current UCF Students Contact: Rosen College Student Services email@example.com
- Prospective UCF Students Contact: UCF Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org