NSMH Scholarship Award Goes to Rosen College Student

Inside Header Image

The National Society of Minorities in Hospitality (NSMH) held its annual conference in Atlanta, Georgia this year and Rosen College of Hospitality Management was well represented. This year’s conference marked a milestone for the organization, as it celebrated 30 years. Throughout these years, not only has membership grown, but relationships have been forged, a plethora of internships secured and jobs given, and educational workshops from countless industry leaders and their organizations have been hosted.

An illustrious organization such as NSMH is important to our culture. It helps provide connections and opportunities specifically for students who are minorities or who are for the progression of minority related initiatives within this industry; and does so in a safe space, that helps cultivate and enrich learning, leaving those who attend in any capacity, better than they were before. Many success stories have sprouted from this organization, especially as some recruiters themselves came up through the organization and are always proud to help give back to the NSMH family. The reach and importance of this organization is so powerful, that every year we are excited to go back, wondering what opportunities and learning outcomes will happen each year.

This year, after having attended this conference consecutively for the past three (3) years, I was one of a few students fortunate enough to secure a $1,000 scholarship. My scholarship was presented by Drury Hotels, a prestigious hotel company. In addition to creating new memories and lasting relationships, this pleasant surprise allows me to further invest in my academic well-being, motivate me to strive for more and continue excelling in any facet of my professional or personal life that I set my mind to. Moments like these allow us to remember how we are living the NSMH mission and its vision, and ultimately, it is our responsibility, to ensure this organization continue its growth from strength to strength, for another 30 years and beyond.

-Jaydell Celestine, Senior Fall 2019

From left to right representing Drury Hotels: Kenisha Thomas (Rosen College alumni), Stacy Jarrard, Angela Rentfro, Jaydelle Celestine (Rosen College student and scholarship winner), Kim Kropp, Mark Pakula, Rosilee Frank.